We had a bit of a break for Easter (alright, we forgot to post anything) but we’re back with more questions – and answers! – for our Meet Moselele slot.
This week, Moselele’s only professional funnyman* Tom H is here to tell us all some home truths about the second best ukulele group in the whole of Moseley. (*He’s been known to do it on stage, you know.)
1) Tell us how you started playing the ukulele. (How long ago? Did you play other instruments before?)
I hadn’t picked up a uke before coming to Moselele. I’ve dabbled with a few instruments before, which I played appallingly before setting fire to them in a fit of rage. So far the uke has avoided this fate.
2) What uke(s) do you play? (Have you made any adjustments/personalised it? Do you use a plectrum?)
I’m currently playing a light brown one, it looks like a tiny guitar but with four strings rather than six. The one I play is not one of the very small ones but one of the ones that’s a bit bigger.
3) Do you remember your first Moselele? (What prompted you to come along? What were your first impressions?)
Paul PD had pestered me to go to Moselele for about six months. Having eventually relented I turned up without a uke. Daz and I worked in the same office at the time and there was a nice ‘oh it’s you’ moment when I walked in.
4) What keeps you coming back to Moselele?
Paul knows secrets about me which he has threatened to post on social media if I stop going.
5) What’s your favourite Moselele song?
I still love Black Kids…
6) What’s your usual Moselele tipple?
San Miguel and then a diet Coke (is diet Pepsi ok? Yes that’s fine).
7) Do you practise at home? (What do your family/housemates/pets think?)
The quality of my playing should be a fairly strong indicator of the fact that I don’t practise much.
8) What’s your favourite Moselele story/memory (so far)?
The crowd launching into an impromptu ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’ at last year’s Snowselele.
9) What would you say to anyone thinking of joining?
If you like ukes being played in an airless room by people with questionable personal hygiene then this is for you.
10) Tell us a secret.
If I did tell you then that would break the spell and I wouldn’t have to come to Moselele any more… which would be a shame.